Friday, September 19, 2008

Young Jeezy

The Recession


Young Jeezy has made the A-typical rap album.This is the album you think about when you think about loud music playing at wild parties.This is the rap cd coming at ya from a low rider.This is the rap blasting from a 'Fast and Furious' Honda Civic that shakes grandpa and Gramma's windows.

This is everything your parent's warned you about.

And I can't decide if that is a good thing or not.

Yeah,the beat and the rap are wound tight.I enjoy each and every track.Young Jeezy is a supreme wordsmith.Yah Da.Yah Da.Yah Da.

But there is nothing new,here.

I have been listening to this cd for a week...and while the album on a whole is extremely enjoyable:while I am listening to it...the whole thing is totally forgotten by me as soon as it is off.It all just seems to blend together.

Due to Hurricane Ike my electricity at home was out for six days,so I only got to listen to,'Recession going ' to and fro' from work;going to the store or on various other driving adventures.Listening to this cd that way reminded me of carpooling back in the day with my old friend Jimmy Gray drinking forty ouncers an jamming to Snoop doin' it Doggy Style.

'Cept it wasn't quite the same.This album was a quandary for me.How could I enjoy something soo soo much while I was listening to it,yet feel soo little about it later on?

Maybe it was the stress of not having lights.Maybe,I just couldn't be totally fair to this great album due to circumstances beyond my control.I don't know.But the only lyrics from this cd I caught myself singing were from the simply put,'Vacation'[I need a va-ca-tion].

That is what I kept telling myself anyway.

But then...why did I find so much more pleasure in the only couple of times of hearing Lil Wayne singing,'Lollipop' on my crank up radio in the candle lit darkness?

I don't know.

And,I suppose,that is the problem.I wanted-nay-needed-more than just the A Typical.I needed new.I needed fresh.And while,'Recession' could be this...it just didn't seem that way.It wasn't comfort food.It seemed more like day old bread.

B+

No comments: