Friday, February 8, 2008

1st Free Week



...OK,second free week...But when Alicia was in her 2nd week at the top I knew Juno would be next...so I hedged my bet....


Audio Eagle Records is an Akron, Ohio-based record company owned by Patrick Carney, the drummer of the Black Keys. I like Northeastern Ohio music.I actually have quite an extensive collection(for a collector that just dabbles,anyway).So this cd and myself are a good fit.
I was expecting 'good stuff',and to hardly my surprise,this compilation of Ohio bands fit the bill.From the opening riffs of the first act,Doug Gillard's,'Four What I've Done' to the final note on the last tune,'Chalklit Phye II' by Gil Mantera's Party Dream,I got a such a wide variety of Ohio rock,that a Drew could not have been happier.


Trying to pinpoint which of these groups stoodout the most on this compilation proved much harder to do then I expected.This album did what most radio stations have forgotten to do....mix music.Songs flowed steadily from one song into the next.This cd was like a holy text to great Ohio rock and roll...not just a bunch of compiled songs.This album was much more then just a bunch of single acts,alone.It was like chapter and verse on how to listen to great music.

A example(but neither the prime example ,nor necessarily the best example) of this comes in the middle of the mix.The Buffalo Killers','The Path Before Me',leads you into the Black Key's,'Nobody But You',which then brings Hell's Information's,'Song Six' to the forefront of your attention.You keep going"!WoW!How can the next song be even better...but it is!

Yet,another great mix comes next on the playing order,
'Spanish Fly',by Deathly Fighters,flows so exactly into the excellent Seven Parts Six song,Stolen Moments,that when Brainbow's,'Secret Histories'comes on,you are,again,totally blown away.

A week hardly seems enough time to absorb all this good stuff.I am in anguish just knowing that I can't name and go into every song in this review(but I gotta mention the Heartless bastards:-).

Great album

A

No comments: