Saturday, February 16, 2008

FREE WEEK# 2


Taking the 'free week' concept to new levels(yes,Ms.Keys is once again on top),I actually ordered a 'free' cd to listen to.I want to give a big thank you to the great state of Louisiana for sending me this great actual 'Time-Life' cd of Cajun and Zydeco classics.

I initially wanted to review this cd last week as that was when Mardi Gras ended and Lent began(ask me about my Lent hat).But,it didn't get here in time...and besides,I am getting ahead of myself.

I first fell in love with New Orleans' Cajun influences through what I consider one of the best Tv shows of all time:'Frank's Place'.Think 'Northern Exposure' before 'Northern Exposure'.CBS really did this Tim Reid vehicle and it's viewers a grave disservice by switching this all time classic television show from one time slot to another.

I first fell in love with Zydeco music when it was featured in the,'Big Easy' movie.I immediately went out and bought the album.Pass the crayfish,gumbo and jambalaya,please.

I was very happy to get this cd in the mail.I have heard of such groups as 'Buckwheat Zydeco','Queen Ida' and 'BeauSoleil'.And of course I have heard of such classic songs as,'My Toot Toot' and 'Zydecon Gris-Gris'.But this whole compact disk rock and rolls.

Jo-El Sonnier's version of Hank William's 'Jambalya' almost HAD to be included.But I am really glad that 'Give Him Cornbread'(by Beau Jocque) was included.This song put me so much in mind of Andre' 3000 that I do believe that I could be shaking my cornbread like a Polaroid picture.

'Sugar Bee' could be a great Rod Steward cover,except that it is better than most of the things he's ever sung.

The dance crazy,'My Girl Josephine',by Queen Ida and her Zydeco Band,is more than a toe tapper...it's a body mover.

In fact,this whole shindig is a party in the making.You can hear the heavy influences of early rock and even earlier country and western.This free cd suceeds in wanting you to go to Louisiana to hear this great music live.

Nuff' said!

A

No comments: