Saturday, March 22, 2008

Alan Jackson

Good Times




"Don't make any waves..."That is a punch line to an old joke about a man who goes to Hades and has to stay in a pile of septic waste up to his neck.



If there is any complaint to this cd it is that it 'doesn't make any waves'.No political protests,no lighting bolts from the sky,no names named.


But sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.I don't buy a'Rage Against The Machine' album for songs about pick up trucks,neither should I buy an Alan Jackson cd for anything but great country music.


And in the days where country music is more Bocephus than Hank Sr.,Mr.Jackson is the bridge between the two.I shouldn't be complaining about great ol' school country.


Throughout this lengthy cd Alan Jackson not only channels the likes of Merle Haggard ('When The Love Factor's High'),George Jones('If You Want To Make Me Happy') and the steel guitar of Hank Williams Sr.(I Still Like Bologna),but you hear so much banjo,mandolin,fiddle and even accordion that you swear that he went straight back to the good ol' days.

Songs that probably get air play are too numerous to mention:they all can.But I like,'Small Town Southern Man';'I Still Like Bologna';'1976';'I wish I Could Back Up',and 'Nothing Left To Do'.

Alan Jackson sings the gauntlet of classic themes here,partying,heartbreak,love,lost,even the before mentioned pick-up truck song.Hey!Where's the song about trains!?!

On the nit picky side,on,'Nothing Left To Do',Alan sings about shaving and putting on new underwear(too much information),but doesn't mention showering first...I'm not that country...If I am going out with my gal for an evening...I'm a showering first...

...And,for an old Ford pitchman,it sure was strange hearing Mr.Jackson sing that Jesus would ride in a Chevrolet...

...Maybe I am being a litle anal retentive on Mr.Jackson's writing skills(I couldn't even begin to be half the writer he is),but I think of these points every time I hear these songs.

They are the cd's only down sides.

A

No comments: