Friday, March 28, 2008

Rick Ross




par·o·dy:any humorous, satirical, or burlesque imitation, as of music,a person, event, etc.


gue·ril·la par·o·dy:Rick Ross


Since the death of 2Pac(O-K,maybe,Biggie Smalls)Gangsta,Mafioso,hardcore rap-whatever you choose to call it-has been less about keeping it real and more about living in a fantasy world.It has been less about Al Capone and more about Alfalfa{entertaining the small white boys};in other words,rap has become very close to becoming a parody of itself.

Not that parody in itself is necessarily bad.Eminem has made a living parodying the genre.But he was(is)a wordsmith.He actually sang/rapped about things.

Most gangstas do not.Gold,wealth,sex and power became sub routine.When you had no real words to spout,they became the classic fall back mode of the untalented...no wonder that there is not a single 'classic rap' station?

Enter Rick Ross.How do you take the parody out of rap?By parodying the fools that make it.On 'Trilla',Rick Ross goes hardcore.I have not had so much fun listening to a hip hop rap cd in a long time.

But how do I know it's parody?First off Rick Ross isn't really Rick Ross,but William Roberts pretending to be him.Secondly,this stuff is so over the top that I don't see how you could possibly enjoy this taking it seriously.Third...would a gangster be thanking God in his credits?This is meant for dancing and fun.

That does not deny that this is good stuff.'The Boss' single is getting serious airplay.Rightfully so.The song just rocks.The selling point to this song-to me,anyway-is that 'the man' is 'the man' no matter who he is.Hell...is this song about Rick Ross or is it about Dick Cheney?Does it matter...only to a degree.

On,'Speedin',despite all of it's boasting...the song is talking about 'American Idol' and wishing to being on the Grammies!Ya' don't get much more middle American white bread than that!

One of my favorite tunes on the cd is the typical,'This Me'. Not since Kanye West's 'Jesus Walks' have I enjoyed the use of the word,'nigga',so much....but 36(or is it 37?)times?Now...that's ice cold.

'Luxery Tax' is probably the biggest parody on the album.Any rap that says that it is,' going to finger f*ck your whole squad' and then in the next sentence says that ,'I did it for the kids,'can't legally be considered anything but.

The Eminem feeling,'All I Have In The World' is another prime jam....the only question I have is...is that repeating sample...Snape from Harry Potter!?! LoL!

Arguably the best rap on the cd is,'This Is The Life'.I don't like that Rick Ross calls his Afro-American girls 'ho's while he then calls the white woman a girl.But I have a biker friend who calls his wife his 'bitch',so I guess I can accept 'ho's as a term of endearment.

The absolute worse thing I can say about this cd is that I am sad that this week is over:-(


A

No comments: