Friday, July 18, 2008


Free Week #7


MY MORNING JACKET:Evil Urges



I am a rocker.I rock out.

I am not a indie rocker/I like pop music.

No,nix that.I like good music.Labels are for fools and followers.

No.Nix that.Everyone has a right to enjoy music the way they seem fit.You have a right not to like any group for any reason.

It seems,'Evil Urges',has gotten it's fair share of this elitism backlash....and,in my humble opinion,it doesn't deserve one iota of it.

I am a rocker.I rock out.So does My Morning Jacket on their,'Evil Urges' cd.It is a rocker.This cd was born to be played in concert.

No,MMJ does not play it totally safe on this recording.They take chances.If this is your gripe about this album,then perhaps you should go back and listen to the other MMJ cd's....then come back and listen here,again.

It's not that growth is always necessarily always good...it's just that stagnation seemingly is always bad.

The song,'Evil Urges' is what I call a 'set-up' song.It not only sets up the whole album,but a few songs in particular(ie 'Highly Suspicious').In doing so,it stands out on it's own.I-like almost everyone else-compares front man,Jim James,falsetto to Prince.A-just as likely-comparison is to Paul McCartney mimicking Little Richard.This song would make a great openner to any concert.The jam at the end is worth the price of admission itself.

Speaking of 'Highly Suspicious',it is a fun energetic tune.Maybe,it is because I am planning on going to see the new 'Batman' movie tonight,but I am equating it with Heath Ledger's Joker in it's mad-cap laissez faire attitude.

'I'm Amazed',is a more typical My Morning Jacket production.Is questioning some MMJ fans lack of faith?Just 'cuz a few songs are different,you're gonna a blow off the whole cd?

Come on.

Grown up.

The whole cd is a diverse conglomerate of all of the My Morning Jacket repertoire.In fact,it is fun just listening to them expand and grow.

'Libraian'is just a nice song-Bobby Goldsbrough-esque.Of course,I mean this in a good way.

I am a rocker.I rock out.That is why I like both,'Alumium Park' and 'Remnants'.

I also like songs that build and climb and then jam their little hearts out.That is why I like,'Smokin'From Shootin',and,'Touch Me I'm Gonna Scream Pt. II'(There is allot of Pinkamus Floydamus','Echoes', on Pt.II).

All and all,just a fantastic album by My Morning Jacket....now,of I could only find a way to go see them in Colorado with the Black Keys....

A

No comments: