Friday, July 4, 2008

Cold Play

VIVA LA VIDA


For the ones of you that only know 'Cold Play' by the songs,'Yellow' & 'The Scientist',you maybe somewhat surprised by the sounds coming off this cd.The fans of 'Cold Play's other cd's,on the other hand,will be more than pleasantly surprised.They will be tickled.

That's a good thing.

'Viva' is not a concept album-so to speak-but there are some common threads running throughout it.

I'll give one.The song,'Cemeteries Of London'is,in my opinion,about the fog rolling in...perhaps 'Passover' fashion.The lyrics:"I see god come in my garden but I don’t know what he said/For my heart it wasn’t open",pretty much sums up the jest of it....very visual.

Yet,what a tangled web we{they}weave.On,'Violet Hill',Cold Play sings,"And the fog, became God."See,it's very subtle,but it is there.

I will leave it up to you to find other such tidbits.

Another theme could be said to be the feeling of hope held within hopelessness.Perhaps,hope is not the exact word that I am looking for.These songs leap Psalm like with a glory in sorrow and despair.As if these feelings are O-K to feel.It is this allowance that produces the release of relief.In this relief is the beauty akin to hope.

Two prime examples of this are ,'Yes' and 'Viva La Vida'.Both very touching and beautiful songs.

Another Psalm like song is,'Death And All His Friends'.You can't find more powerful lyrics then these:"No I don't want to battle from the year to end I don't want to cycle and recycle revenge I don't want to follow death and all of his friends".

One of my favorite songs is,'Strawberry Swing'.What a positive upbeat tune.

The most Cold Play-ish sounding song probably is ,'Lost'."Your a big fish in a little pond....I'm just waiting till the shine wears off"

I don't understand the significance of the title of,'42',but I love it's sentiments...."Those who are dead/Are not dead/They're just living in my head,"and then the happy up-tempo switch to,"You thought you might be a ghostYou didn't get to heaven but you made it close,"Just great happy stuff.

If you were not a Cold Play fan before,after 'Viva La Vida' you will be.

A

1 comment:

Dharma said...

A very good cd. I have to say that I am fan. We are selling it at the coffee shop and playing it as well. Some of this other stuff.... I continue to be amazed at what you listen to and wonder how. I can not imagine how you can listen to this and then put it up against some of the rap crap.