Friday, August 8, 2008

Miley Cyrus

Breakout

I have to admit that my expectations of this Disney star's first non-Hannah Montana project as not being set very high.I don't know why.'High School Musical' and it's cousin,'High School musical 2'[both Disney vehicles] were likable enough projects.Miley's own Disney Tv show,'Hannah Montana' has a nice 'Lucy' like quality to it.Her 3-D concert movie,'The Best Of Best Worlds' received mostly favorable reviews.

What was I thinking?America has a fine history of young teenage rock stars.Why so skeptical of young miss Cyrus?Perhaps,as a father myself,I like Miley.

Call it my teenager Tv star bias.I've seen so many starlets ultimately crash and burn,that maybe,I hoped for a little failure to perhaps prepare her for being a 'has been' by age 21.

That grounding(as I said-based on my own bias) is going to have to wait.This cd is actually not half bad.I know-faint praise.

'Fly On The Wall' is the best song on the record.It has a funny snide side to it.Something,just a little unexpected.

'7 Things' is the first single off,'Breakout'.It's a likable enough song.In fact,it fits pretty much in with today's pop/country music.

'See You Again' sounds somewhat like,'I Wear My Sunglasses At Night' and,'These Four Walls' could be a Natalie Maines/ Dixie Chicks ripoff.On the other hand,'Girls Just Want To have Fun',sounds nothing like Cyndi Lauper's version.Miley Cyrus has turned into more of a stadium anthem.Ditto,'Full Circle'.

Well,you get the idea.'Breakout',is a very listenable cd.By Tv standards this is the gold standard.American Idol and other reality show cd's are not up to this production.

B-

No comments: