Friday, October 31, 2008

Kenny Chesney

LUCKY OLD SUN:Deluxe Version


I have never been a very big fan of Kenny Chesney.There is something about his hairless(nay-shaved?) chest that I find somewhat creepy in a country singer.

I know it's a sort of,'my problem' kind of thing.It's not that I'm homophobic(This coming from a big 'Queen' fan),it's just that I thought-perhaps,wrongly-that country music was the last safe haven away from this sort of thing.You know,the last place that you had to be politically correct.Gosh darn it,if you can't get your good ol' boy freak on while listening to country music...where can you go?

I assume Kenny exposes his buffness to impress the gals{just like Shania Twain did to attract the guys},and that is the problem.I just assumed Kenny Chesney was a 'chick' thing.

Or,a lite version of Jimmy Buffet.

And I assume-still-that I am correct.But,I also like The Dixie Chicks:they're a chick group,too,right?

So anyway,I just never gave good ol' Kenny the chance of day.

Until I had to here.

And you know what-maybe I am getting in touch with my feminine side(you really can't listen to the live versions of either,'Boston' or 'Got A Little Crazy' without agreeing with me),but I really liked,'Lucky Old Son'.

The cd starts off with,'I'm Alive'.Dave Matthews' guest stars,and this is a very nice song.

In fact,I believe that though Kenny Chesnesy only wrote three of the songs('Way Down here';'Nowhere To Go,Nowhere To Be' and 'Soul Of A Sailor') he uses the lyrics most profoundly.

In fact,the first two singles,'Everybody wants To Go To Heaven'(a Jamaican sort of diddy),and the Mac McAnally penned,'Down The Road',though different in styles,are great/fun ballads.

Not that there isn't some weak stuff.'Spirit Of The Storm',and 'Ten With A Two'(another Caribbean flavored tune) are just typical fare.Fan based stuff.

But what I liked the most,was the extra 'live' stuff.I think Mr.Chesney must put on a heck of a live show.

Am I converted into a Kenny Chesney fan?Nah,not really.But I may put him on the next time I want to snuggle up to the wife.

B-

No comments: