Friday, April 18, 2008

George Strait

Troubadour


The trouble with listening to allot of music is that you listen to allot of music.

What I mean is this.If you are a movie critic and see a bunch of action movies a year,you may be a little less forgiving of seeing your 100th car crash than the person that only goes to see latest 'Die Hard' movie.

The same with music.

Soon,you can't tell when an artist is pandering to his audience or simply making great music for his fans.

That is the way I feel about this George Strait cd.'Troubadour' does has some great songs.I really like,'House Of Cash'(about the late great Johnny Cash's house catching fire).The song,'Troubadour'(a self portrait song), is another favorite.

But most of the music on this album seems...how do I say this...targeted...towards his fans.'Brothers Of the Highway',is your classic trucker's anthem..'nothing wrong with it,'cept that it is yet another trucker anthem.
*
'I Saw God Today' seems likewise targeted more than personally felt.I had to listen umpteen times to realize he was singing about his baby(or the songwriter's baby)being born.No baby name was ever mentioned.I know if it was a song about my baby,I would be shouting out the name.But I am sure there are mommas everywhere singing this(or soon to be singing this)song.

See what I mean about listening to too much music.

'Give Me More Time' is the atypical tear jerker.Gotta have a tear jerker.
*
Don't even get me started on,'House With No Doors'.Yoda wisdom.I can hardly tolerate this song...yet...I rightfully see people embracing this bit of wit as they go through some personal troubles driving to work in the morning sipping on their coffee.
*
Thank God for,'West Texas Town'.It is the best song on the cd.
*
All in all,my critic side gives,Troubadour' a C+ ,and my fan side gives it an A-.
*
B+


No comments: