Friday, April 25, 2008

Leona Lewis

Spirit


Ms.Lewis is a winner of England's version of 'American Idol'(a show called,'X-Factor')...Finally,a Tv reality show winner with some real talent.Make no doubt about it,this gal has some pipes.And she uses them.


Unlike so many horrid r&b productions,'Spirit' actually emphasizes the singer's voice.American Idol icon,Simon Cowell,actually makes the most of Leona's very impressive vocals.Unlike so much of today's over-dupped,over-produced crap,you hear-with clarity-this voice.


Leona'a voice-a cross between Alica Keys and Mariah Carey-carries this cd well...unto a point.

'Bleeding Love',deserves to be the hit that it is.In fact,the first five songs all deserve to be hits.Both,'Better Love' and,'I Will Love',actually have piano and(oh-baby)cello!Actual music!Great use of the voice,there,too.

[In fact,while I am thinking about it,I mentioned in a previous post,that the group,'Danity Kane',would make great back up singers.They are not the back up singers here,but,listen to the back up singers on this cd...and my point is made.]


'Forgive Me' and 'Misses Glass' run smoothly into the 'Angel'.This is where the cd has it's first flaw.I could swear she's singing,"You're A 'Ninja'."

The next song,Roberta Flack's,'The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face',I have mixed feelings about.At first,I really didn't care for it at all(I thought it too slow),but I am slowly but surely growing to like it.

The rest of the album sort of gets lost on me.I think it could be a case of Michael Boltonism.The heartfeltness of the songs(Mariah Carey belches not withstanding)seem to all blend together into a mind numbing emotionless mishmash...Too much of a good thing?!?Perhaps.
*
But,maybe,that is just me.
*
A real r&b cd using a real human voice.WoW!What a refreshing concept.
*
B

No comments: