Saturday, June 7, 2008

3 doors Down

3 Doors Down


Because of newer technologies[not necessarily a good thing],recording techniques have also changed to keep up with the ever changing tastes of the listener.

What I mean by this,with cd's falling less and less out of favor[for good reasons] and MP-3 players being more and more pronounced in favor of convenience over quality,bands and their producers are creating music recordings accordingly to this change in listening style.

When subtle audio nuances can't be heard,they are forgotten,or called-as a young rocker pointed out to me-
old fogy.

To compensate for this,many recordings are simply created loud.Turn up the bass,crank up the drums,bring up the vocals and lay down the guitars:all to the exact 'to the top before distortion' and then,flatline it all.

Loud and proud!Noise-glorious noise.

That is both the glory and the downfall of this '3 Doors Down' cd.The glory is that this cd is chocked full of singles.Each song on it's own is a ever thoughtful,well produced song.Aaah,can't wait to hear it on the radio or a selection on my ever growing MP-3 collection.

But,unlike great noise producing groups like Wilco,RadioHead and Death Cab For Cutie,3 Doors' sound gets lost in the mix.The 'equalness' of the sound gets lost in the repeated 'sameness' of sound level.It becomes background music.

Maybe nice for social gatherings or driving to Toledo and back.But it gets lost.I forget what I am listening to.I forget that I am even listening.

Single-ly,this cd rocks.Every song is important.'Train',the first song can be listened to over and over again.The first two singles,'Citizen/Soldier' and 'It's Not my Time',deserve their airplay status.They are great songs.'Pages' is a very passable song,but it is,'It's The Only One I Got' that will probably get lots of airplay.O-K,you can say that about,'Give it Two Me',too.

That is just the way this cd plays.

Probably after every other song is a gigantic hit I will listen to this album differently,give it a greatest hits pt.II type status.Until then,I'll enjoy '3 Doors Down',on the radio.

B-

1 comment:

Dharma said...

Finally!! Two bands that I can get behind. Hopefully I will be seeing 3 Doors this summer, at Blossom with Staind and Hinder. Death Cab has long been a fave.