Friday, November 14, 2008

FREE WEEK #14

Meet Glen Campbell


While I am not a huge Glen Campbell fan,I have to admit that I am a fan.I consider his Christmas album,'That Christmas Feeling' a Christmas classic...probably one of the top five Christmas albums ever.My family has played it for years-and probably will continue to on into the next generation or two.

Not that 'that' makes this cd any better or worse.I did not come into reviewing 'Meet Glen Campbell' with any other expectations except the,'I hoped that I would like it'.

And I do.

In latter Johnny Cash fashion this is a covers album.Glen sings(amongst others)Tom Petty(twice),Jackson Browne,U2,The Foo Fighters,Lou Reed,Billy Joel,and even John Lennon.

Mr.Campbell does a very good job.I very much enjoy his guitar work[though I don't actually know how much of it is 'his' playing],but I could have done without the lavish orchestra that is on most of the songs.

The cd is short,so will be my review.My favorite songs are,'Sing','Walls','Times Like These',Lou Reeds,'Jesus',and 'Time Of Your Life'.

I even think that(gasp-sacriledge)Glen Campbell's version of John Lennon's,'Grow Old With Me',is better than John Lennon's version.

Not bad for a quaint little covers album...

...not bad at all.

B+

No comments: