Friday, November 21, 2008

Twilight

Twilight ,The motion picture soundtrack,in my

opinion,has a few negatives going for it right away.First,how can you have a 'goth-chic' album without ,'Evanscence' on it?

I know-mind blowing.

Secondly...well..crap...it's a 'goth-chic' album.

I am a fifty year old faux-gie.Tweenage love affairs outside Romeo and Juliet {and my very old memories} just don't run out and grab me anymore:Even if they do involve one hundred year old vampires.

Most of the time my mind isn't involved in fantasies of frolicking through the woods as much as it is at hobbling through some bland corridor in a walker.

The movie (and the book it is based on)wasn't written with me in mind.

I don't know if that makes me biased or unbiased towards the movie's soundtrack.But I am trying to judge this cd just via the music.

...Though I do understand-VERY MUCH- the idea of vampires.

One year ago I found myself very sickly and weak.I thought myself overworked,overstressed and just tired and depressed as hell.

I was pale as a ghost.

Finally,going to the doctor,I found out I was severely anemic.Borderline anemic in an adult male is 13.0 g/dl .I was diagnosed with a 5.2 g/dl level.

Once to the hospital(I played softball first),both the doctors and nurses told me they have never seen someone with such a low blood level up and walking around.

They immediately intravenously gave me two units of blood.

WoW!Though I was at the hospital until 3:30 am,I was back up at 5:30 and putting in eight hours of standing work by 6:30.I came home and mowed the lawn and than had to drive to the Columbus airport.On the way i got a flat tire.changed it in a snap.

Man!Was I feeling energetic and ready to go.I had not felt so alive in so long...

...Later on,I realized just how sick and weak I really must have been.To have that much energy from two units of blood...well...lets just say that I truly understand a vampire's bloodlust..it made me feel like Superman.

So,while I may not understand the romance of this 'goth-chic' movie,I am not against it's sentiments.

So,when I heard the first song,I was some what disappointed.Muse's,'Supermassive Black Hole',initially sounded like a My Morning Jacket's,'Highly Suspicious ' ripoff.The same falsetto voice,basically the same melody.But,you know what...instead of stopping me from liking the song,I found,instead,it made me like it.

The whole album,in fact,seems to walk that fine line between edgy vampire-ism and hot under the collar romance.A high wire act very hard to achieve.

Besides,how can you dislike any cd with Iron And Wine on it?

A very fine effort.

B+

No comments: